The most disturbing and serious affliction in today’s times is addiction or substance abuse. One of the most common and easiest to succumb to is cocaine addiction. Cocaine is an extract from coco leaves. In earlier times this was used as a painkiller. Now it is listed in the addictive drugs category.Cocaine acts as a stimulant. It increases energy and levels of alertness. It is very easy to get addicted to cocaine.
CAUSES OF COCAINE ADDICTION
There are many causes for cocaine addiction. These are mainly environmental or genetic. Broadly, environment plays an important role in a person’s addiction. Environment includes
- Family history or proximity to a cocaine addict
- Mental health of the prospective victim
- Peer pressure combined with parental negligence
- Exposure and easy access to funds and addictive substances
Genetic factor of addiction implies that there could have been a history or lineage of addiction in the family.
It is a must for a parent, siblings or a spouse to be alert to visible symptoms of addiction, especially if the individual is a teenager or an adolescent.
SYMPTOMS OF COCAINE ADDICTION
- Loss of the sense of smell
- Nosebleeds which occur due to constant snorting
- Mood swings
- Dilated or blood shot pupils
- Chronically runny nose
- Unexplained weight loss
- Social withdrawal from friends and family members
- Inability to fulfill major roles and responsibilities
- Important activities being given up
- Withdrawal symptoms when cocaine is not available
- Spending more time for obtaining cocaine- going to any extent to procure it.
The earlier an addiction is identified, the easier it is to treat. Science and medical research have made enormous advances in the field of De-addiction. There are many kinds of treatments depending on the degree or severity of the addiction. There are In or Outpatient treatment services in a Rehab centre. Rehab centres are not prisons anymore. These are home-like, friendly and happy places. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Individual Counselling, Group meetings and discussions and medical interventions are combined in an integrated recovery program. Family and friends are also counselled on how to handle a recovering addict and prevent relapses.
Choose a good Rehab Centre that has comprehensive treatment programs for assessment and to effectively treat the bio-psycho-social aspects of drug abuse or even psychiatric disorders requiring medical and therapeutic assistance.
It is very important for the care giver to be mentally and physically strong to deal with tantrums, financial and domestic crises and the emotions of watching a loved one in such a condition. Rehab centres offer family programs to empower the care givers.